#SMMW17: Everything You Wanted To Know to Start a Podcast
According to Cliff Ravencraft, starting a podcast is a great way to get your message noticed, command focus, and generate influence.
Ravencraft delivered a great presentation at Social Media Marketing World 2017. During the presentation, he discussed the whys, how’s, and strategies of podcasting.
For me, some key takeaways included the statistics around podcasting. There are fewer podcasters than bloggers or video creators; therefore, you can stand out easier. Additionally, there are over 97 million drivers with daily commutes of an average of 26 minutes. Great opportunity to listen to a podcast.
Ravencraft broke down the podcasting process:
- Record your voice
- Upload to a media hosting company
- Create your blog post (show notes) and embed your podcast link.
It was also important to connect to directories like iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, and Tune in Radio.
- Post at least once a week for a 20-30 minute session.
- Create some great artwork. Ravencraft recommends using a graphic design. If you are in the Western New York area, may I recommend BMT Graphic Design.
- Create a good name for your podcast. You have 127 characters to work with.
- Focus on a niche area.
In the near future, I am planning to create two different podcasts; one for Jamestown Community College and the other will be for Tubarks Consulting. Stay tuned.
If you are interested in podcasting for your western New York business and need some assistance, please connect with me. I would love to help you.